FIRST LEGO League Challenge is lots of fun! Here's how it works:
- Gather a team of 2 to 10 kids and at least 2 interested parents to coach.
- In August, FIRST will release a "challenge," for example, in 2016 the challenge was named "Animal Allies."
- Plan to meet twice weekly from August through November, possibly through the first weekend in December if your team qualifies for the CT state competition.
- A LEGO MINDSTORMS® EV3 robot, a practice table, and an iPad or Chromebook will be loaned to each team to use for the season.
- Research and present your ideas in the Project, including a trifold poster and a binder.
- Compete in a regional event to show off your robot programming expertise and project!
The Nitty Gritty
- Teams are for children in grades 4-8, age 9-14 at the time of registration.
- Each team must have at least two parent volunteer coaches.
- These parents must pass two background checks, one offered for free through the official FIRST website, and another offered at no-charge by Glastonbury Public Schools (GPS).
- Students must register for their team on the official FIRST website before you will obtain some of the necessary materials to participate.
- A participation fee of $40 paid to Glastonbury Public Schools helps to cover expenses such as the team FIRST registration fee, the annual Field Kit, replacement robot parts, team tee-shirts, and tournament fees.
- All teams are encouraged to compete at an official regional event to show off their hard work and programming skills!